Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The Legend of Korra



What you see above is a picture of Korra, a young woman from the Southern Water Tribe who becomes the Avatar after Aang. She will star in a new show on Nickelodeon, made by the team behind the original animated series Avatar: The Last Airbender.

Only a few details have been released, on this site that has currently been brought down by the server load of countless squee'ing Avatar fans.

We do know these things:


  • Korra will be taught by Tenzin, who is Aang's son.

  • It will take place in a steampunk metropolis.

  • Part of the plot will deal with an anti-bending movement.

  • It takes place 70 years after the original show.


Some of you might be saying, "Aang's son?!" or "Steampunk in Avatar?!" (as if that's news), and I understand your nervousness. Those were my first reactions, too, but I've gotten over my initial shock and I'm currently in a state of extreme excitement bordering on squee. I remember what it was like watching the original show and wondering, worrying, if the creators would do something to mess it up along the way, but they always steered us right. Personally, I'd just like to know that the same animation studios will be doing the artwork, and I'll be set.

EDIT: A great interview with Mike and Brian here: 'Legend of Korra': The 'Avatar' Creators on the New Spinoff. This show sounds SO GOOD YOU GUYS!

2 comments:

bluefish said...

I'm nervous about this. An anti-bending movement? Avatar grandkids? Sounds like fanfiction out of control. Still, like you've said, they haven't steered me wrong yet, so I'm cautiously optimistic!

Russ said...

I'll squee. Works for me, man. Works for me.