Thursday, January 1, 2009

Something New Years-ish

It's the new year, so it's time for the new year's blog post.

Strange paradox: while the past year sucked for our country and the world, it was absolutely fantastic for me. I hit my stride at work, I strengthened friendships with the finest people I have ever known, I did some writing I'm proud of, and, yes, I met a certain young lady.

I suppose that I should be worried about the state of the world. Old tensions are re-igniting in the Middle East as well as between Russia and the USA. The world economy is spiraling down. America is increasingly polarized between the conservative, religious right and the liberal, starry-eyed left. Even Obama is starting to look more and more human now that the initial thrill has worn off.

But I'm not worried. In fact, I'm looking forward to this next year more than any other. There is nothing I can do about the state of the world, so the best I can do is hope it gets better and hang on for the ride.

I can't wait to see the things we will create, to hear the jokes we will tell, to share the experiences we will find. I realize that everything cannot be perfect, and that events will doubtless come along that will blindside me and throw my year off track. But there is no point in worrying about such things. What will happen will happen. Right now, it looks like the upcoming year will be golden, and I can't wait to share it with all of you.

And New Year's Resolutions? I don't know if I should be making resolutions, because I have found that trying to bind something or give something extra gravity often ends up ruining the thing you were trying to create. So instead I will say something I would like to do: get published. I now join every other wannabe writer in this resolution, but you never know.

Happy New Year, everybody.

No comments: